So I heard today that there was a petition online to change the date of Halloween. My first thought was, why? That seems pretty silly. Halloween has to be on October 31st. It just DOES.
Then I read a little more, and I think I'm convinced to change it.
The petition, which is up to 30,000 signatures, suggests that Halloween be moved to the last Saturday in the Month of October, similar to how Labor Day works.
Here is the reasoning behind the proposed change:
- 3,800 Halloween-related injuries each year. Talk to your kids aboutsafety before they head out!
- 82% of parents don’t use high visibility aids on their costume, be sure to incorporate reflective tape, glow sticks, finger lights or light up accessories
- 63% of children don’t carry a flashlight while they are tick-or-treating. Grab a clip-on light if they don’t want to carry one!Children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween. Discuss safety, pre-plan a route, stay on side walks and use cross walks
- 65% of parents don’t discuss Halloween safety with their children. Talk with your kids and offer ways to ensure a fun and safe experience
- 70%of parents don’t accompany their children trick-or-treating. You’re never too old to trick-or-treat! Grab a costume and take advantage of some good ol' fashioned family bonding!
- 51% Of Millennials say Halloween is their favorite holiday, why cram it into 2 rushed evening weekday hours when it deserves a full day!?!
The idea is that if Halloween were moved to the weekend, parents would be more apt to accompany their kids, and adults could have a little more fun celebrating. (You won't have to worry about that hangover at work the next day)
The goal is 35,000 signatures, which I'm sure by the time this article is posted will be reached.
What do you think? Should Halloween be moved?